Our Family

Our Family

The Shaw Family

Doug & I were married on October 6, 2005 in the Salt Lake Temple. We are currently living in the Dallas, Texas area. We have two sons, Gavin Douglas born September 18, 2009 & Liam Robert born October 14, 2011. We are so happy to be a family of four & love our boys so much! It is always one adventure after another in this house.

Gavin Douglas

Gavin Douglas

Liam Robert

Liam Robert

Blog Archive

Live Traffic Feed

Thursday, June 20, 2013

A busy weekend

{June 8-9 2013} 

The weekend had started out with our little date night to the YAA museum which was a blast. The next morning Gavin & I were able to get up at 5:30AM to attend our little friend Mason Steel's baptism. Why so early you ask? Well they were having the baptism in the ocean at the beach right at sunrise. I know right? How awesome is that? With Gavin being in primary now & more aware of what baptism is I couldn't pass up this special experience to let him be a part of.
 
It was absolutely breathtakingly beautiful that morning. It was so peaceful. The water was calm & the sky was gorgeous.

I took a quick shot of them all walking out into the water. Mason & his dad, Drew & the two grandfathers.
The spirit was so strong & it really was so special. Every baptism is in no doubt, but I can't deny that the atmosphere & place had a huge part in it. 
Doug & Liam joined us at the Steel home for breakfast following the baptism. It's so fun having good friends down here that we can share these wonderful moments with. 

However, there was a downside to the baptism at the beach at sunrise. Every heard of a Noseeum? Or a Sandfly? Well this is what the tiny little things look like:


So small they are hardly visible, but man can you feel their bite. During the little program before the baptism we were all swatting away & slapping ourselves as these little buggers were becoming super annoying. I didn't pay them another thought after we left & went on with our day. But the next morning I itched my leg & the itching didn't stop. I looked down & was completely shocked! Look at my calves!



I don't feel like the pictures do it any justice for how awful it was. They were everywhere! And my arms were covered too. I counted 30+ bites on each limb. And boy did they itch. The first thing I did was grab Gavin to overlook his little body. And you know what? Not one bite anywhere. Seriously, he didn't have a single bite. Which I'm grateful for, but couldn't believe. He was sitting between people that all got attacked. Weird. Anyhow, these bites are worse than mosquitoes by far. The itching lasted 4 days! Yikes. Apparently they are very lively & present in sandy areas at dawn & dusk. So we were there right when they were out & about.  Yuck!

Saturday afternoon we went to a class barbeque for one of Doug's professor's that is retiring. There was a ton of really good food & they had a pool so the kids got to swim & beat the heat.

 Liam all ready for the pool. He's one cool dude!

 So cool in fact that Kevin wanted to be just like him. Haha! Liam wasn't sure what to think.

In the end he just started crying & running away from Kevin. :) Kids are so funny!

On Sunday for Family Home Evening we had a little lesson on Samuel the Lamanite. This was the best part though. We made a rice krispie treat wall for Samuel to stand on top of while declaring the word of God. :) The boys loved it!



No comments: