Our Family

Our Family

The Shaw Family

Doug & I were married on October 6, 2005 in the Salt Lake Temple. We are currently living in the Dallas, Texas area. We have two sons, Gavin Douglas born September 18, 2009 & Liam Robert born October 14, 2011. We are so happy to be a family of four & love our boys so much! It is always one adventure after another in this house.

Gavin Douglas

Gavin Douglas

Liam Robert

Liam Robert

Blog Archive

Live Traffic Feed

Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Our Little Super Hero

Gavin has been obsessed with Super Heroes lately so I decided it would be the perfect theme for his 3rd Birthday Party. Thankfully he didn't ever change his mind on what he wanted because I got busy prepping a month before so that I wouldn't be stressed out or overwhelmed. I'm so glad I did too! It was a lot of work, but everything turned out just how I had hoped. 

 
This cute boy was so hyper & excited about his party all day long!

My friend Camille was in town visiting for the week & the poor thing got thrown into helping out way too much for this party. But there is no way I would have been able to do it without her. So a big thanks to Cami for watching my boys so I could go run around, get the church set up, frost the cake etc. 

(Isn't she the cutest prego lady ever?! Love her.)

Above I mentioned the church. I was originally wanting to have the party outside & I thought by mid September that it wouldn't be so hot here. Boy was I wrong! It is still super hot & now rain showers tend to hit in the afternoon or whenever they feel like it. So thankfully we were able to use the church gym which turned out fantastic because it has A/C & there was plenty of room for all 16 kids to run around. Uh huh. That's right,16 kids. Crazy right?! There would have been absolutely no way they would have fit into my little house, so yet again another great reason to have access to the church building. :) Anyhow, on to the party.

 Warning! There are a LOT of photos. And that's because my nice friend Holly volunteered to be photographer for the night & she rocked at it! There is no way I would have been able to capture this much being in charge.

Gavin's birthday present from us was renting a bounce house. I searched & searched & finally found a company that was actually reasonably priced. Yahoo! It was most definitely the hit of the party. And because most of the kids were 4 & under, no one got hurt. Well too bad anyways. I think I counted 3 kids exiting the bounce house sobbing. Pretty good considering what I've seen in the past. :)

The Food Table
My favorite decoration by far was the comic book banner that I made. I was so excited when I found a comic store & even more excited that they had avenger comics that were from 1984. So cool! And I also really liked how the skyline turned out too. Everything was super easy thank goodness!

 Some of the party guests.
L to R, T to B:
The Graff, Steel & Rhodes
Mackay, Mongillo
Wendt, Trockel
Reheisse, Peterson, Laura & Liam

It really was so fun that Camille & Draven were able to be here to help us celebrate!

I was real excited about the activities that I had planned. And I was so happy that the kids all participated SO well & everything ran smoothly. Yay! The big one was that we had the kids go through SUPER HERO TRAINING. And when they completed their training they were awarded a cape & mask that they got to keep. They were all pretty excited about that! :)

 Check out all those capes! Making them took a lot of time, but I'm so glad I did it. Seeing the kids' faces light up when they knew they got to keep them was priceless. And they all look adorable wearing them too!

They were all listening so well as I explained & showed them what to do. We set up an obstacle course for them consisting of crawling through the train, running zig zag around the cones, going down the slide, jumping the hoola hoops & finishing off by squirting the villain with silly string.

 Of course the birthday boy got to go first & he did awesome! I think their favorite part was shooting the silly string. :)

I had made Gavin an extra special cape that was blue versus red so he would stand out as the birthday boy super hero. Boy was that a mistake! He completely broke down. Check out the sequence of the below photos. Not really making a to do at first, but then slowly he realizes that his is 'different'. Apparently at 3 they already don't want to be different then their friends. Good golly!

 
So to avoid a complete disaster & tantrum we quickly gave the birthday boy what he wanted. A red cape!
(I should have known as he was been exclaiming the past while that his favorite color is red)

 Super Gavin!

 It was so fun watching the kids do the obstacle course & become little Super Heroes.

After letting them run around while everyone finished Super Hero Training we gathered them up & I asked who liked Super Man. I They all agreed that Super Man was awesome because he can fly to high. I also explained what kryptonite was & that it can hurt Super Man's powers & prevent him from flying. They looked very concerned. :) So cute! Anyways, I told them that they needed to practice flying now that they were Super Heroes. So Doug had them running through the halls working on their flyin skills & when they came back they saw that there was a TON of kryptonite all over!!! They had to hurry & collect all of it into the big black bags in order to save their Super Hero Powers!

 Don't they all look so cute in their matching red capes?!

The rest of the time they just ran around & played in the bounce house. Some of the dads took all those balloons into the bounce house & that was a big hit!

Some of the kids were asking about cake & opening presents so we couldn't wait any longer.
So everyone gathered around & we sang Happy Birthday to Gavin. He loved every second of the attention that he was receiving!!!

Making a wish & blowing out his candle.

PRESENTS
Holy excited Batman! These kids just kept inching closer & closer to me & Gavin to get a good look at whatever he was opening. I think I said like 3 different times for them to take a couple scoots back. :) Kids are so much fun & have so much enthusiasm that it just makes everything so much better!

Gavin definitely got spoiled by his friends. He wanted to open every one right there to play with it. Thank you everyone for the gifts!

My sister Laura is quite the artist so I had her draw & paint a Super Hero photo op for the party. It turned out amazing! I can't help but giggle when I look at these pictures.

Up, Up & Away!

 Happy Birthday Super Gavin! Momma sure loves you & am so happy to have you as a son. Throwing you this party was SO much fun!


7 comments:

Jenny said...

Wow! You are amazing. I'm sure those kiddos had tons of fun at that party. What a lot of work for you!

Here's a little teacher tip as far as the crowding at gift time goes. Put one of your Hula Hoops on the floor between you and the rest of the kids. Tell them they aren't allowed to touch the hoop. It gives them a physical barrier and helps keep them back longer. You could even line up 2 or 3 hoops so they don't creep around the circle and end up right next to you. I've done this when telling stories to groups of children, and it usually works pretty well.

Nee said...

Oh my stars.....what a party. You really outdid yourself on this one. What cute capes and masks. Makes me want to be a young mom and have a do-over. Or maybe not......lots of work!!!!!
crenee craigo

Rachelle said...

Rachel! This is so darling! I am sure Gavin and ALL of those kids had the BEST time!!! So cute!

Stephanie Evans said...

Far and away the most amazing party EVER!! I seriously could not believe the pictures. Laura did such a good job on the photo op! How cute!! And the capes and masks.... what lucky party guests! Collin was mesmerized by the bounce house. He kept pointing to it and asking to play on it. Happy birthday Gavin!! It's great to be 3! :)

Sheila Madsen said...

Gavin loves super hero stuff because he has a Super Hero MOM. Great party - a lot of work but you sure gave the kids a lot of fun and parents, too. If you ever want a new career -- you could be an event planner! Fabulous - looking at all the pictures makes me want to be a kid again!

Megan said...

That is so adorable! You are a super mom! What a lucky little boy! I wish I could have come to that party! You are an amazing party planner!!

Brittany said...

It really was the best party! We had so much fun with you guys and you really know how to throw a FANTASTIC party! Owen still talks about it and loves wearing his cape and mask. So fun!